Compiled by Michael Kroeger

Accordion fold:
Series of parallel folds in paper in which each fold opens in the opposite direction from the previous fold -- like an accordion.

Basis weight:
The weight, also called substance, of a ream (usually 500 sheet) of paper cut to a specific size that is standardized for that type of paper. This can be confusing because the standard size for measuring basis weights is not the same for all types of paper. For example, the sheet size for measuring the basis weights of bond and writing papers is 17 x 22", while for text papers it is 25 x 38", and for cover stocks it is 20 x 26".

The fastening together of printed sheets in the form of signatures into books, booklets, magazines, etc. Also, the covers and backing of a book.

Book paper:
A category or group of printing papers that have certain physical characteristics in common which make them suitable for the graphic arts. Used for books, magazines, and just about everything we read, with the exception of newspapers and pulp novels.

Calendered paper:
Paper with a smooth finish produced by its being passed through the calender of the papermaking machine.

A process in which the paper is pressed against a heated, polished drum while the coating is in a highly plastic condition. Cast-coating gives the paper an exceptionally high gloss and smooothness similar to that of a glossy photograph.

Coated paper:
Paper with a surface treated with clay or some other pigment and adhesive material to improve the finish in terms of printing quality. A coated finish can vary from dull to very glossy and provides an excellent printing surface that is especially suited to fine halftones. Coated paper is a must for halftones printed by letterpress. Examples are pigmented or film-coated, conversion-coated, blade-coated, and cast-coated.

Cover paper:
Term applied to a variety of heavy papers used for the outside covers of brochures, booklets, and catalogs.

Duplex paper:
Printing paper that has a different color or finish on each side.

Felt side:
In papermaking, the top side of the sheet, which is usually smoother than the bottom, or wire side.

Paper finishes can be divided into two basic categories: uncoated and coated. Within each category, there are various kinds of finishes and/or various degrees of smoothness.

French fold:
A sheet of paper printed on one side and then folded once horizontally and once vertically to produce a 4-page folder.

During papermaking, the paper fibers tend to align themselves in one direction, thus creating a grain in the paper. Grain direction influences printing and folding, and must therefore be taken into account when planning press sheet layout.

The arrangement and positioning of pages or other units of a job so that they fit the press sheet properly.

Kid finish:
A slightly toothy finish commonly used on high quality paper and bristol board.

Machine finish (MF):
An uncoated, calendered book paper with a finish between that of eggshell and English finish.

Text paper:
A general term that is applied to antique, laid, or wove papers. Used for booklets, programs, announcements, and advertising printing.

Production for the Graphic Designer
by James Craig
Publisher: Watson Guptill Publications, New York
ISBN 0-273-00921-4

Recycled Papers, The Essential Guide
by Claudia G. Thompson
Publisher: The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts
ISBN 0-262-70046-8

Graphic Design Studio Procedures
by David Gates
Publisher: Lloyd-Simone Publishing Company, New York
ISBN 0-912526-30-0

Copyright © 1996 -- 1999 MK Graphic Design. All rights reserved. No portion of this document may be copied, reproduced, or electronically reused without written permission from Michael Kroeger at MK Graphic Design. (08.03.99)

Go to Top of Page